- 1 Catia Tutorial
- 1.1 What You Need to Know About CATIA v6
- 1.2 What is CATIA doing?
- 1.3 CATIA Modules
- 1.4 Catia Tutorial Exercise 1:
- 1.5 Catia Tutorial Exercise 2:
- 1.6 Catia Tutorial Exercise 3:
- 1.7 Catia Tutorial Exercise 4:
- 1.8 Catia Tutorial Exercise 5:
Catia is consistently considered to be one of the most popular CAD/CAM software options available. It was designed by Dassault Systems, a French company, to provide users with the perfect platform for design, analysis, and manufacture of new products. It is focused on making collaboration simple and streamline the creation process to make product development faster and easier. The latest version that has been released is CATIA Version 6. However, many companies have chosen to not yet upgrade from version 5 because they simply do not understand what improvements have been made.
What You Need to Know About CATIA v6
1. Upgrading From Version 5. One of the biggest reasons that companies do not considering upgrading their software to the latest version is potential compatibility options. Fortunately, upgrading from version 5 to version 6 is actually a very simple transition. Catia v6 was designed with nearly a 80% portfolio similarity. This was done specifically to make upgrading from version 5 easy and trouble-free.
2. Online Creation and Collaboration. Catia v6 has been optimized in order to enable concurrent work in real time. This is done through a simple internet connection, even from remote locations. This is considered by many to be a huge breakthrough for companies that are currently utilizing a global engineering and manufacturing strategy. It allows for wide scale IP (Intellectual Property) modeling in a collaborative environment with joint scalability throughout the entire creation process.
3. Using a Single PLM Platform. Catia v6 was natively built on a single PLM platform. This allows for support of IP modeling that spans every engineering discipline and collaborative business processes (CBP) which allows for coverage throughout the entire product life-cycle Since the design data, engineering data, and manufacturing data are all stored within the same base it can accessed in a unified way, thus enhancing multi-discipline collaboration
4. Creating a Lifelike Experience. Catia v6 was designed to insert 3D into the heart of every company. Users can now experience the product as if it was already created. This was achieved by providing new shades which creates more realism within the product definition view as well as new working ambiance in regards to the floor, reflections, etc.
Designers will also gain an advantage because Catia v6 is so easy to use that it can quickly be integrated with a variety of daily tasks. Even the most casual users will be able to use the Catia 3DLive interface to find information, experience the product, as well as collaborate with others in a 3D online environment.
5. Creating a Global Collaborative Innovation. Catia 3DLive is a key feature in Catia v6. It creates a 3D portal to allow all actors across the country to access all parts of the product definition. It also has integrated tools specifically to allow online global collaboration as well as instant global collaboration This allows for peer to peer connection with a heads up display style that allows for “drag and drop” ideas, in 3D, between designers. The highly scalable architecture is based upon SOA which allows for simple management of the worldwide product development process.
Catia v6 offers a variety of tools that will allow the entire product process to be streamlined, saving both time and money. Now, designers, engineers, and even the most casual users can interact in a 3D environment, just as if they were in the same room.
What is CATIA doing?
CATIA offers the opportunity to view 3D models. This idea was revolutionary when released. Since Dassault System had little marketing experience, they had a connection to IBM that showed the two companies really successful in markets CATIA. CATIA has been widely used in early stage for the development of Mirage aircrafts, but the software’s ability made it a common option for the car industry as well. Dassault updated the product designation from CAD/CAM applications to Project Lifecycle Management, when CATIA was adopted by more and more manufacturing firms.
At various design steps, CATIA can be used – some of the process are: design, drawing, evaluating and repetition. The programme contains various “module”, which allows CATIA to be used in different industries – from the design of the parts and / or design of the surface to the assembly of sheet metal design. Also for CNC machining, CATIA can be used.
The following is a short overview of some of the essential CATIA modules:
The most important module in 3D solid modelling. This CATIA module allows the design of specific 3D mechanical components using an elegant and versatile user interface from sketch to iterative comprehensive design in the form of the assembly module.
Conceptual Shape Design Module:
It helps you to model basic and complicated forms easily using wire frame or surface properties. It offers a broad variety of software for designing and editing shapes. Although the awareness of part design is not necessary, it will be very useful to use this module properly.
The fundamentals of Assembling, constraints motions and relocating assemblies and elements of the product system can be easily learnt. This module enables all the components to be affixed to a machine or part.
Kinematic simulation Module:
Kinematics involves the arrangement of parts connected by a set of joints known as a mechanism. This links explains the movement of an assembly. It deals with the concept approval process for interactive mock-ups. This module program illustrates how a system in the real world is going to move.