Chassis is a French term and was initially used to denote the chassis frame parts or basic structure of the vehicle. It is the backbone of the vehicle. A vehicle without a body is called Chassis. The components of the vehicle, like the power plant, transmission system, axles, wheels and tires, suspension, controlling systems like braking, steering, etc., and also electrical system parts are mounted on the Chassis frame. It is the main mounting for all the components, including the body. So it is also called a Carrying Unit.
The following main components of the Chassis are:
Frame: it is made up of long two members called “side members” riveted together with the help of a number of cross members.
Engine or Power plant: It provides the source of power
Clutch: It connects and disconnects the power from the engine flywheel to the transmission system.
FUNCTIONS OF THE CHASSIS FRAME:
1. To carry the load of the passengers or goods carried in the body.
2. To support the load of the body, engine, gearbox etc.,
3. To withstand the forces caused due to the sudden braking or acceleration.
4. To withstand the stresses caused due to the bad road conditions.
5. To withstand centrifugal force while cornering
VARIOUS LOADS ACTING ON THE FRAME:
- Short duration Load – While crossing a broken patch.
- Momentary duration Load – While taking a curve.
- Impact Loads – Due to the collision of the vehicle.
- Inertia Load – While applying brakes.
- Static Loads – Loads due to chassis parts.
- Over Loads – Beyond Design capacity.
- Understanding 3D Printing: A Comprehensive Guide to Its Methods, Materials, and Technologies
- How to Choose the Right Solar Panel for Your Home
- Chain Drive | Introduction | Definition | Types | Application | How To Properly Tension Chain Drive | Chain Drive vs Belt Drive
- Drum Brakes Adjustment Tool | Hydraulic Drum Brakes | Drum Brakes Working | Drum Brakes vs Disc Brakes
- Automobile Air Suspension System, 3 Basic Components, and Working
- Hydraulic Brake System Of An Automobile | Components, Construction, And Working Of Hydraulic Braking System