Mechanical engineers design and develop everything you think of as a machine – from supersonic fighter jets to bicycles to toasters. And they influence the design of other products as well – shoes, light bulbs and even doors. Many mechanical engineers specialize in areas such as manufacturing, robotics, automotive/transportation and air conditioning. Others cross over into other disciplines, working on everything from artificial organs to the expanding field of nanotechnology. And some use their mechanical engineering degree as preparation for the practice of medicine and law. The mechanical engineer may design a component, a machine, a system or a process. Mechanical engineers will analyze their design using the principles of motion, energy, and force to insure the product functions safely, efficiently, reliably, and can be manufactured at a competitive cost.
Mechanical engineers work in the automotive, aerospace, chemical, computer, communication, paper, and power generation industries. Mechanical engineers will be found in virtually any manufacturing industry. Increasingly, mechanical engineers are needed in the environmental and bio-medical fields. Indeed virtually every product or service in modern life has probably been touched in some way by a mechanical engineer.
Design and Dynamic Systems Area
- 1 Manufacturing/Industrial Area
- 2 Mechanical Engineers study:
- 2.1 Conveyor Take Up Arrangement | Take Up Pulley | Screw Take Up Conveyor | Quick Take Up Master Cylinder
- 2.2 Pulley | Belt Conveyor Pulley | Belt Conveyor Pulley Types | Belt Conveyor Power Calculation
- 2.3 Types Of Belt Conveyor Drives | Belt Conveyor Drive Arrangement
- 2.4 Belt Conveyor Drive Arrangement | Belt Conveyor Design Calculation
- 2.5 Belt Conveyor Idlers | Carrying Idlers | Return Idlers | Idler Spacing
- 2.6 Belt Conveyor Parts | An Ultimate Guide To Learn Belt Fabrics | 6 Types of Belt Cover Grades Can Make Your Life Easier | Belt Splicing | Designation Of Belts
- 2.7 Belt Conveyor Layout | Horizontal Belt Conveyor | Inclined Belt Conveyor | Declined Belt Conveyor
- 2.8 6 Facts You Never Knew About Belt Conveyor Types | 5 Advantages Of Troughed Belt Conveyor And How You Can Make Full Use Of It | Flat Belt Conveyor
- 2.9 Belt Conveyor Belt Specification | Belt Conveyor Standards | Selection Of Belt Drive | Belt Conveyor Selection
- 2.10 10 Unexpected Ways Belt Conveyor Can Make Your Life Better | Belt Conveyor Design | Belt Conveyor Parts | Belt Conveyor Rollers
This area emphasizes modeling and control of dynamic processes in engineering systems. Current research activity is in engineering acoustics and noise control, NVH, vibrations and modal analysis, system modeling and identification, control systems, system dynamics, computer simulation of material-forming processes, off-line programming of robots, automobile crashworthiness, computer-aided strain analysis, software sensor development, optimal control of automated manufacturing, application of artificial intelligence in interactive design software, environmentally conscious design, and design of orthotic devices for gait rehabilitation.
Energy Thermo-Fluids Area
Emphasizes thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. Current research activity is in combustion processes, internal combustion engines, transmissions, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, computational fluid dynamics, and emissions and air quality control.
Current research activity is in metal cutting, metal forming (with specific thrusts in sheet metal deformation), grinding, tribological aspects of forming and machining, computer-aided design of dies for forming metals and polymers, robotics and automation, metrology, data-dependent system analysis, industrial engineering, and environmentally conscious manufacturing. The manufacturing systems engineering program emphasizes the integration of design, materials, computers, and manufacturing with an exposure to business and engineering administration, and is particularly suitable for those who have a bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, metallurgical, or chemical engineering.
Solid Mechanics Area
Emphasizes topics in mechanics and materials science. Current research activity is in mechanics of materials with microstructure, experimental mechanics, plasticity, wave propagation and dynamic fracture, biomechanics, micromechanics, ceramics, crashworthiness, polymer matrix composites, and computational mechanics.
Mechanical Engineers study:
- Statics: How are forces transmitted to and throughout a structure?
- Dynamics: What are the velocities,accelerations and resulting forces for a system in motion?
- Kinematics: How does a mechanism behave as it moves through its range of motion?
- Strength of Materials: Is the component strong enough to support the loads? Is it stiff enough?
- Materials Science: Which material has the optimum properties?
- Thermodynamics : How does energy get converted to useful power? What are the losses?
- Fluid Mechanics: What is the pressure drop due to the fluid flow? What are the aerodynamic drag forces?
- Heat Transfer: How do you calculate heat transfer rates from temperature data? How do you predict the temperature distributions?
- Manufacturing: What manufacturing processes do you select?
- Machine Design: How do you synthesize all of the above?
- Electrical Circuits: How do you integrate electronic controls into your design?
- Laboratory Methods: How do you make and interpret both thermal and mechanical measurements?
- Vibrations: How do you predict and control vibrations?
- Engineering Economics: How do you estimate manufacturing costs?
Mechanical Engineers can take the following career paths:
- Industry (the most common)
- Graduate School
- Entrepreneur/Business Owner
- Research Labs
- Preparation for other Professions (law, medicine, teaching, etc.)
Mechanical Engineers are engaged in the following activities:
- Conceptual design
- Presentations and report writing
- Multidisciplinary teamwork
- Concurrent engineering
- Benchmarking the competition
- Project management
- Data Interpretation
- Developmental design
- Work with suppliers
- Customer service
Skills that help Mechanical Engineers to be successful in their careers:
- Problem solving (The essence of engineering!)
- Hands-on understanding
- Leadership/conflict resolution
- Knowledge management
Mechanical Engineering careers can have the following stages:
- Early years – technical work most important
- Middle years – project management and product expert knowledge (still technical) become more important.
- Senior years – corporate, market, and global understanding become important.
- Communication and team skills remain important throughout.
Conveyor Take Up Arrangement | Take Up Pulley | Screw Take Up Conveyor | Quick Take Up Master Cylinder
Conveyor Take-up Arrangement: All belt conveyors require the use of some form of take-up device for the following reasons: To ensure adequate tension of the belt leaving the drive pulley so as to avoid any slippage of the belt To ensure proper belt tension at the loading and other points along the conveyor To compensate… Read more
Pulley Belt ConveyorContents1 Pulley Belt Conveyor1.1 Pulley:1.2 Pulley types:1.3 Typical welded steel pulley-Drum conveyor pulley1.4 Spun end curve crown pulley1.5 Spiral drum conveyor pulley1.6 Welded steel pulley with diamond grooved lagging1.7 Welded steel pulley with grooved Lagging1.8 Spiral Wing Conveyor pulley1.9 Power calculation for the drive unit: Pulley: The diameters of standard pulleys are: 200,… Read more
Types of Belt Conveyor Drives:Contents1 Types of Belt Conveyor Drives:1.1 Single Unsnubbed Bare / Lagged Pulley Drive:1.2 Snubbed Bare / Lagged Pulley Drive:1.3 Tandem drive:1.4 Special Drive: Single Unsnubbed Bare / Lagged pulley Drive Snubbed Bare / Lagged Pulley Drive Tandem Drive Special Drives Single Unsnubbed Bare / Lagged Pulley Drive: This is the simplest… Read more
Drive arrangement:Contents1 Drive arrangement:126.96.36.199 T1 ≤ T2.eµα188.8.131.52 Te = T1 – T184.108.40.206 T2min > T E Max (1 / (eµα -1))220.127.116.11 T = 4.2 Pc ( Wb + Wm ) In belt conveyors the driving power is transmitted to the belt by the driving pulley which is rotated by an electric motor. The basic mechanism… Read more
Idlers:Contents1 Idlers:1.1 Carrying Idlers:1.2 Return idlers:1.3 Idler spacing: Conveyor belts are usually supported on idler rollers. In some cases they are supported by solid wood or runway of steel sheet or a combination support comprising of the two types of supports placed alternatively. There are two basic types of idlers: Carrying idlers Return idlers Carrying… Read more
Belt Conveyor Parts | An Ultimate Guide To Learn Belt Fabrics | 6 Types of Belt Cover Grades Can Make Your Life Easier | Belt Splicing | Designation Of Belts
Belt Conveyor parts:Contents1 Belt Conveyor parts:1.1 What is a Conveyor System, and how does it work?1.2 Belt Conveyor Parts1.2.1 1. The Belt as a Support1.2.2 2. Pulley System1.2.3 3. The driving Unit1.3 Conveyor System Types1.3.1 1. Ball Transfer Conveyor1.3.2 2. Baggage Conveyor1.3.3 3. Belt conveyor.1.3.4 4. Bucket conveyor1.3.5 5. Chain Conveyor1.3.6 6. Coal mine conveyor.1.3.7… Read more
Conveyor layouts:Contents1 Conveyor layouts:1.1 Horizontal Conveyor1.2 Decline Conveyor1.3 Inclined Conveyor1.4 Overland Conveyor Belt conveyors can be designed for practically any desired path of travel. It should be noted that transfer between conveyors should be avoided where possible due to additional wear on the belts at the loading points. Some of the profiles shown below: Horizontal… Read more
6 Facts You Never Knew About Belt Conveyor Types | 5 Advantages Of Troughed Belt Conveyor And How You Can Make Full Use Of It | Flat Belt Conveyor
Belt Conveyor Types:Contents1 Belt Conveyor Types:1.1 The Components of a Belt Conveyor1.2 Troughed belt conveyor | Belt Conveyor Types1.3 Troughed belt conveyor: a functional description1.4 Troughed belt conveyors have a wide range of applications.1.5 Flat belt conveyor | Belt Conveyor Types Whether gravity or motorized, these belt conveyor types are frequently used to transport bulk… Read more
Belt Conveyor Belt Specification | Belt Conveyor Standards | Selection Of Belt Drive | Belt Conveyor Selection
Selection of Conveyor belt: To select the correct conveyor belt for your application involves a large number of considerations. Final selection may very well represent a compromise between what is desired and what is available. To assist you in obtaining the proper information required to select a proper belt construction, the following check list is… Read more
10 Unexpected Ways Belt Conveyor Can Make Your Life Better | Belt Conveyor Design | Belt Conveyor Parts | Belt Conveyor Rollers
Belt ConveyorContents1 Belt Conveyor1.1 Essential components of a belt conveyor:1.2 Belt Conveyor design and construction1.3 Application of belt conveyor:1.4 Belt Conveyor Rollers or Idler Rollers1.4.1 Transported Materials in Belt Conveyor Rollers1.4.2 Environmental Factors when selecting Belt conveyor rollers1.4.3 Operational Capacity of Belt Conveyor Roller1.4.4 Costs of Belt Conveyor roller1.4.5 Aspects Design of idler roller1.5 The… Read more