What is Non Destructive Testing
Non Destructive Testing (NDT) is a method of testing the material’s characteristics such as physical, chemical and structural components to perform their function in a cost effective way. In this, components are examined / evaluated without destroy / damage of the product. NDT tests conducted in the parts aren’t damage the raw materials as such happened in destructive methods and it guaranteeing the safe operation of the parts. NDT is no way alters the components in any type of inspection. NDT is carried out widely for the conditioning monitoring (industrial inspections) of the plants such as aerospace, automobile, manufacturing and construction.
Non Destructive Testing vs Destructive Testing
This process is done during the ‘production stage’ or ‘during the service life’ or ‘during the failure of the components’. Critical material properties are identified by testing under the different loads, where the components properties identified through the specimen failures. Some of the common destructive testing methods are Tensile and Compression Tests, Bending tests, Impact tests, Cupping tests, Hardness test etc. Defect are not identified in destructive testings. Destructive testing is a costliest process due to material loss. Hence it is not suitable for the service material testing.
Applications of NDT Weld inspection for Aeronautical Components
Production of Aero components are time consuming, complex designs and the components are very costly. Hence many components in aeronautical industries are keen to watch the parts.
List of NDT Weld Inspections
- Ultrasonic Testing for Seamless tubes, Inspection, crack detection, materials characterization studies, Thickness measurement,
- Infrared and Thermographic Testing
- Visual Inspection: Corrosion damage in Built-up structure, Pitting on the exposed surface
- Liquid Penetrant Testing
- Magnetic Particle Testing
- Eddy current theory: Abrupt changes in the components geometry, Cracking,
- Radiography Testing
- Acoustic emission Testing
- Understanding 3D Printing: A Comprehensive Guide to Its Methods, Materials, and Technologies
- How to Choose the Right Solar Panel for Your Home
- Chain Drive | Introduction | Definition | Types | Application | How To Properly Tension Chain Drive | Chain Drive vs Belt Drive
- Drum Brakes Adjustment Tool | Hydraulic Drum Brakes | Drum Brakes Working | Drum Brakes vs Disc Brakes
- Automobile Air Suspension System, 3 Basic Components, and Working
- Hydraulic Brake System Of An Automobile | Components, Construction, And Working Of Hydraulic Braking System
Great blog post.Helpful and informative tips. I like it thanks for sharing this information with us